Violante Vanni; 1732-1776.
A highly praised engraver of her time, Vanni contributed
countless illustrations to natural history books, specially
for Saviero Manetti's "Ornithologia methodice digesta".
Her only known foray into cartography was to "borrow and translate"
existing maps (mostly from Thomas Jefferys in the London Magazines,
and from Jacques Nicolas Bellin in "Histoire Générale des
Voyages"); to incorporate them into an italian journey book
"the Gazzettiere Americano" published by Marco Coltellini
Piano della Citta e Porto di Sant'. Agostino 1776.
This map (11 5/16" X 7 7/8") was engraved by Giusepe Pazzi, and printed by Coltellini circa 1776. It is a slvish adaptation of plan of St. Augustine drawn by Jean Claude Dezauche, who flourished as a French engraver, geographer, editor and map seller. He was followed in mapping by his son during the early 1800’s, who was also at the Depot de la Marine (director: J. N. Bellin).
The city and port of St. Augustine was kept by the British as the capital of East Florida and was active as an export center. The stone fort ( built in 1672-1695 to replace the old wooden structure) had been strengthened considerably by the Spanish during the last decade of their ownership of Florida,y having slaves reinforce all defensive the walls with cochina, a natural stone of the area.
This image differs somewhat from the Boazio view of 1588 and the one by Thomas Silver in 1740. It shows Fort Negro, a bastion manned by runaway slaves.
No text on verso.