Surveyor General Office, Benjamin A Putnam.
This large map ( 24 11/16” X 21 5/8”) was issued by Putnam as part of the regular updating of the plats of the state*.
The United States General Land Office was established in 1812. Its duties were to survey and manage the public lands of the federal government.
In 1824, the post of Surveyor General of the United States for the Territory of Florida was established to survey the public lands in Florida using a township and range system.
Florida is divided into nearly 1,700 townships, each of which is a square six miles by six miles. Township is also the name of the east-west axes (similar to latitude) which forms the northern and southern boundaries of any township. Range is the name of the north-south axes (similar to longitude) which forms the eastern and western boundaries. Each township is subdivided into square mile sections, numbered consecutively from 1 to 36. Notice the principal system of reference: the base parallel and the principal meridian (intersecting on the southwest corner of the former Lafayette land grant).
The 300 000 acres large 1817 (Arredonde) Arredondo land grant covering most of Alachua County is still operative.
Notice also the huge (over one million acres) Forbes purchase. In 1776, Panton Leslie & Co in which John Forbes was a partner, established in Pensacola a trading company which became extremely successful, so much so that it was permitted to continue operating by the Spaniards after Spain retook control of Florida in 1783. The firm was even permitted to turn Indian debts into land titles. This "Spanish grant" was denounced by the US once Florida was ceded by Spain to America in 1819. It took 14 years of legal wrangling to re-establish the ownership rights of Forbes (the sole surviving associate), hence validating his land sale to Colin Mitchell's “Appalachicola Land Company” which operated the grant till 1858.
On the Atlantic coast, near the Mosquito Inlet, notice the town of Smyrna, a reference to the ill fated Greek/Minorcan colony envisioned by Dr Turnbull when the area was under British control.
Also, notice Fort Dallas (present day Miami). Initially built in 1836 to guard the Miami Inlet during the second Seminole War, it was practically abandoned in 1849.
Notice the Indian reservation on the South West corner of the Peninsula tip.
No text on verso.
* known updates of same map: see table