Parys. - #2284


Click on map to enlarge.
Click HERE to view the map in its frame.

DATE: c1692

MAP MAKER: Pierre Aveline.

SIZE:10 5/8” X 7 3/8”.

PRICE: $475.00

 

Pierre Aveline; c.1656 - 1722.

A Parisian engraver, print-publisher and print-seller, he probably trained with Adam Pérelle and, like him, specialized in topographical representations.
He engraved in suites many views of Paris and of provincial, European and African cities, mixing etching and burin.
In 1685 he obtained a royal license for ten years, authorizing him to reproduce “Le Profil des Maisons Royales”. Among the 412 items that comprise his life work there are only two portraits and two prints of historical subjects.
His son Pierre-Alexandre continued the engraving business till his death in 1760, and was well known for his burin renditions of François Boucher oils.

Parys.

Origins of the map.
Basel born Matthäus Merian, engraver and publisher in Frankfurt, teamed first with Autrian artist Martin Zeiler, then with his son, to produce starting in 1640 a series of “Topographia”. After his death in 1650, the family pursued the work till the early 1700's to reach a total of twenty one.
Each Topographia was considered the best “guide” to a certain part of the world, it was illustrated with numerous intricate engravings, in particular showing faithfully the details of monuments which have been since remodeled or leveled.
The Topographia relative to France, “Topographia Galliae, Oder Beschreibung und Contrafaitung.”, was issued by Caspar Merian in 1655 and again in 1661 and 1666. It comprised 4 volumes in quarto, with 321 engraved plates.
For Paris, there were a city plan, and at least three bird's eye views; from the south, from the west and from the north.

This rare and charming bird's eye view (10 5/8” X 7 3/8”) is a much reduced, cropped and simplified remake of the original view from the north (probably from the hill of Montmartre).
The main building in the fore front is the Hospital Saint Louis (in those days, hospitals were usually located outside the town walls to limits the spead risks of contagion).
Notice that on the fortifications, bastion tops are used by wind mills.
Inside the town, from left to right: La Bastille, Notre Dame and next to it the City Hall, the Saint Jacques Tower and behind it the Sainte Chapelle, Saint Germain des Prés, and finally the huge Louvre Castle.
No text on verso.

 

 

 

2010© La Rose des Vents - All rights reserved