Nicolas de Fer; 1646-1720.
Engraver, publisher, and geographer, de Fer knew a great
reputation during his lifetime.
Not so much because of his contribution to the advancement
of world mapping, nor for the publication of his atlases (1695
"Atlas Royal", 1697 "Petit et nouveau Atlas", 1700-1705 "Atlas
curieux",..), but above all because of his large wall maps.
For these individual maps, he expanded on the Blaeu "carte
à figures" style; and incorporated flamboyant representations:
royals in heroic postures, mythology and history characters,
allegories and famous vistas,. the decoration taking over
the cartographic content with a profusion of baroque scenery.
He was appointed twice Geographer to the King, both to the
king of France and to the king of Spain, even though it appears
retrospectively, that his cartographic skills might not have
been too accurate.
Pierre Mortier; 1671 - 1711.
David Mortier (brother); 1673 - 1728.
Cornelis Mortier (son); 1699 - 1783.
Pierre (Pieter) Mortier, whose grandparents were French
refugees, grew up in Amsterdam but lived in Paris from 1681
to about 1685 where he must have gotten into the book trade.
Once he was in Amsterdam again he specialized in French books
and maintained his relationships with Parisian publishers.
Of note; the 1690 Atlas Nouveau, the 1693 Neptune François
and the 1710 Atlas Maior.
Corneille (Cornelis or Cornelius) Mortier and Jean (Johannes)
Covens were brothers-in-law, who carried on the book publishing
business after Pierre Mortier death.
In partnership they continued publishing enlarged editions
of Sanson, Jaillot and De L'Isle, as well as some of the later
Dutch cartographical masters: De Wit and Allard, and, of course,
Baye et ville de Havana ou
S ? Christoval.
Bay et château
de porto Bello.
(on verso) Cartagene avec ses ports et fortresses. .
The individual maps of this unusual composite (three large
insets, two on recto one on verso) were originally prepared
for the 1690-1695 "Les Forces de l'Europe".
In 1702, Pierre (Pieter) Mortier published in Amsterdam his
own version of said work while recycling all the original
de Fer maps.
Havana (12 3/8" X 8 3/8") show the bay coast delineation normally
accepted at that time. The skimpy town and fortification details
are very much derived from the 1675 work by Roggeveen.
Notice at the entrance of the harbor the watch tower (explanation
text: it would fly as many flags as foreign ships would be
spotted). In the cartouche the real original name of the town
is mentioned: San Cristobal).
Porto Bello (12 3/8" X 8 3/8") is very minimalist. It is an
exact copy of an earlier work by van der Aa (itself derived
from an Herman Moll work?). Strangely, the northern fort does
not bear the correct name of Hiero, and seems smaller than
the south fort (designed here as "grande").
Cartagena (12 3/8" X 8 ¼") shows a very advanced delineation
of the bay coast and of the lay out of the town. Strangely
enough, in a northern cove, a little write up alludes to the
landing place of the French in 1698 (when actually the admiral
de Pointis took the town in 1697).