Arnold Montanus (actually Arnold van den Berghe); 1625-1683.
Montanus was a Dutch Jesuit theologian, historian, author and publisher. His father Peter Montanus (a teacher for ancient languages) was related to the Hondius family and was involved in the publication of some geographical books and atlases with Jodocus and Heinrich Hondius.
Arnold was rector of a Latin school in Schoonhoven, publishing several philosophical and clerical writings. He also developed a passion for travelogues on faraway countries. Thus, he soon wrote treatises on peoples and culture of the New World as well as Dutch overseas history (specially in Japan).
He is mostly known for his publication in 1671 in Amsterdam of his own atlas: "De Nieuwe en Onbekende Wereld". This compilation of extremely decorative maps, concentrated on North America, Central America, and the Caribbean.
Actualy, most of said maps were strongly influenced by the 1630's Blaeu originals and quite a few engravings were much in the manner of the works by de Bry.
In turn Montanus was immediately copied by John Ogilby for his own "An Accurate Description and Complete History of America".
Some maps have been re-used by Pieter van der Aa in his "La Gallerie Agréable du Monde" (1729), and even later in the 1760's in the Covens & Mortier's "Nieuwe Atlas".
This bird's eye view (13 ¾' X 11") was printed for the 1671 "De Neuwe en Onbekende Wereld".
It depicts the town of Fort Caroline (Arx being an archaic Gallo-Roman word for a citadel) which was established by French Huguenots in 1564 on the banks of the Saint John's River (close to present days Jacksonville).
In about a year time the settlement had grown to over a thousand inhabitants; soldiers, farmers, craftsmen, and one artist: Jacques Le Moyne de Morgue who documented flora, fauna, natives, and the everyday activities of the colony. On the basis of these sketches, later editors would produce maps and views of the town till the second half of the 18th century.
Notice the numerous buildings, the fortified walls and gun emplacements, the seemingly peaceful interaction with the Timicuan Indians, the grazing cattle, and the warships.
Fort Caroline was taken by the Spaniards in 1565 and retaken by the French in 1568, who razed it then.
No text on verso.