Ville de S. Domingue dans l'isle de ce nom. - #2203


Click on map to enlarge.
Click HERE to view the map in its frame.

DATE: 1764

MAP MAKER: Jacques Nicolas Bellin.

SIZE: 6 3/8 X 8 9/16".

PRICE: $200.00

 

Jacques Nicolas Bellin; 1703-1772.

A first rank cartographer, Bellin worked for some fifty years at the French hydrographic service (Dépôt de la Marine); which he ran till his death. In this position he had unequal access to prime cartographic data, which he used to further his own private business interests. He was succeeded at the head of the service by the very talented, and no less prolific, Rigobert Bonne.
His career was mainly devoted to charting and mapping coast lines, harbors, sea lanes,. Most of his publications were related to nautical matters: maps for "Histoire générale des Voyages"* between 1747 and his death, "Atlas Maritime" in 1751, "Neptune François" in 1753, "Petit Atlas Maritime" in 1764,. for the benefit of the French Navy, merchantmen, and the public at large.
He is known to have used informations from the best fellow cartographers of his time, to complement the in-land parts of his maps, notably: Guillaume de L'Isle and Jean-Baptiste Bourguignon d'Anville, often giving them credit. Fame, enormous output and fastidious quality of work, earned him the appointment of "hydrographer to the king" by Louis XV of France. He was also a member of the Royal Society in London.

* A major work published by Antoine François Prévost d'Exile. The first edition in 1747 was already of an encyclopedic size. A major remodeling was done in the mid fifties, incorporating some two hundred new maps (quite a few drawn by Bellin). Later editions, till 1789, incorporated verbatim other authors travel writings (e.g.: Gmelin's "Voyage au Kamchatka par la Sibérie" was incorporated in volume 25 in 1779).

Ville de S. Domingue dans l'isle de ce nom.

This small plan (6 3/8" X 8 9/16") was produced for the 1764 "Petit Atlas Maritime". It shows the town of Santo Domingo, which is the oldest continuously inhabited colonial settlement in the Americas. Founded in 1496 by Bartolomeo Colombus, Nueva Isabela, quickly renamed Santo Domimgo de Guzman, expanded and moved from the east bank of the Ozama river to its left bank in 1502.
The upper left inset locates major European "firsts" in the new world:
- B: Santa Maria la Menor (de la Encarnacion) was named first cathedral of America by pope Paul III in 1542, as such its Archbishop was Primate of the Indies.
- F: Alcazar de Colon, residence of Diego Colombus (son of Christopher) while he was viceroy of the colony. Along its east side, the first american street "Las damas" which passes in front of:
- G: Palace of the Captain General and courthouse (now the museum of Casas Reales), and then between:
- N: convent of the Clarists (now Santa Clara College); and:
- A: the castle.
No text on verso.

 

 

 

2010© La Rose des Vents - All rights reserved