Johann Baptist Homann; c1663-1724.
Johann Christoph Homann, son; 1703-1730.
Johann Michael Franz; 1700-1761.
Johann Matthias Hase;1684-c1742. Aka Hasius.
Johann Georg Ebersperger; 1695-1760.
Homann established his map publishing business in Nuremberg
in 1702. He printed loose maps, but specialized in the production
of atlases. He developped a style of large and detailed maps,
with complex and ornate cartouches. He often borrowed from
known cartographers (such as Delisle, d'Anville and Chassereau),
often giving proper credit to the sources.
His first atlas earned him in 1707 a membership at the Berlin
Academy of Sciences. He was soon nominated Geographer to the
His son took over the business in 1724, which he then bequeathed
to his heirs, under the express condition of operating under
the mane of Homann Heirs. The firm continued to turn out atlases
into the next century.
Of note: the 1702 "Atlas novus terrarum" re-edited till 1753,
Neuer Atlas, Grosser Atlas, and in 1747 the "Homannisher Atlas"
re-issued till 1780, etc.
Neu und verbesserter plan des hafens von Carthagena in
In may 1741 Thomas Bowles published the Pierre Chasserau
large (19 7/8" X 16 7/16") seminal plan of Cartagena "A new
and correct plan of habour of Carthagena in America". This
plan sported the 1740 date in its cartouche. A few years later
Bowles and the Homann Heirs agreed to engrave a reduced version
of this plan (11 1/16" X 9 1/8"), to combine it with another
Chasserau reduced plan (Havana, dated 1739) on the same sheet,
and to publish it simultaneously both in London and in Nuremberg.
These maps could have been prepared for the Homannisher Atlas
and the Atlas die Englische Colonie-Laender.
Note that due credit is given to Chassereau the cartouche.
This plan is one of the scarcer and most sought after Cartagena
map. In spite of its smaller size, it shows great details:
the anchorage, the lay of the land, roads, the walls and fortifications,
the most important buildings and the street lay out of the
The inset resumes the history of the town, from its settlement
in 1532 till 1540, its sack by Francis Drake in 1585, and
its bloody conquest by de Pointis in 1697. The cartouche depicts
the surrender of the town: on the left burgers tender a chest
of gold coins, to (on the right) an armed soldier (the baron
of de Pointis himself?) straddling a slain man. The outer
bay is filled with the warships of the invading force, while,
the inner bay shelters spanish men-o-war firing their guns
at the invaders.
Notice the prominent convent of La Popa on a bluff just north
of the city.
No text on verso.